Wroclaw, the capital of Lower Silesia, is one of the oldest and most beautiful cities in Poland. Situated at the foot of the Sudetes, on the Oder river, cut by numerous tributaries and channels, is an exceptional city of 12 islands and 112 bridges.
Because of its riverside location and a large number of bridges and footbridges over the waters, it is called Polish Venice. Wed like to invite you for a virtual travel around Wroclaw with the help of the menu on the left side.
It is the greatest complex of churches in Wroclaw and the seat of the archdiocese. The main building is a Gothic St. John the Baptist’s cathedral. It is a monumental, three-aisle and two-tower basilica. You can take an elevator in the northern tower to marvel at the view over the city. Other monuments of Ostrow are two-storey Gothic Holy Cross church and St. Bartholomew’s church, Romanesque and Gothic St. Idzi’s and St. Martin’s churches and a chapter house.
The market, the City Hall
The market in Wroclaw is one of the biggest and most beautiful in Poland. It is surrounded with historic tenements. The most valuable historic houses have been preserved within the western frontage. The most magnificent monument of the market is the City Hall – a pearl of Gothic and Renaissance architecture. It is presumably the most beautiful monument of Gothic middle-class art in Poland.
The dominating accent in the Old Town is a baroque building of Wroclaw University, whose 171 metres’ long facade faces the Oder river. Its architectural shape, enriched with a wonderful sculptural and painting decor, is considered one of the most valuable monuments of the Baroque in Poland and Europe.
Tenements ‘Jas’ and ‘Malgosia’
The houses of altarists, the last ones preserved from among the ring of buildings surrounding the cemetery around St. Elisabeth’s church, originate from the fourteenth century. More Gothic features have been preserved in the three-storey tenement ‘Jas’. The higher, four-storey ‘Malgosia’ has a Baroque facade dating back from the eighteenth century. An inscription on the Baroque gate (1728) “Mors lanua Vitae” (“Death the Gateway to Life”) was to remind that it was an entrance to the cemetery. The tenements house a café and the seat of the Society of Wroclaw Lovers.
The Panorama of the Battle of Raclawice
It is a monumental (120 x 15 m) painting by Wojciech Kossak and Jan Styka. The Panorama was painted in Lvov between 1893 and 1894 to celebrate the hundredth anniversary of Kosciuszko insurrection. On 9th April 1944 the painting was badly damaged as a result of air bombing. It was therefore wound on a roller and placed in the monastery of Bernardines. In July 1946 the Soviet authorities handed over the painting to the Poles. For 40 years it was kept in warehouses. The opening of the Panorama didn’t take place until 14th June 1985. It is one of the biggest panorama paintings in the world.
The City Arsenal
It is also called Mikolajski Arsenal. The Gothic building, which was to serve as a granary, was built in 1459 by the west-north defensive walls. From the beginning it represented a type of simple, uncomplicated architecture designed for strictly practical purposes. It was converted into the arsenal in the sixteenth century and that is the period of time for which its northern wing is dated. It is a unique building in European architecture. Its eastern and northern wings house a division of the Archaeological Museum.
The People’s Hall
A brilliant work of constructivism, originating from the beginning of the twentieth century. It is surrounded with a wide recreational area. One of the most beautiful parks in Wroclaw – Szczytnicki Park – spreads out north of the Hall.
One of the biggest parks in Wroclaw. It is a scenic park with plenty of great compositional and dendrological values. It is one of the first parks in Europe that was arranged in the English style. You will find there the Japanese Garden.
The Japanese Garden
The Japanese Garden in Szczytnicki Park in Wroclaw was founded in 1913 on the occasion of the Centenary Exhibition as a part of the Garden Art Exhibition.
The zoological garden
One of the oldest and most interesting Polish zoological gardens with numerous fauna species. It is an ideal place to go for a walk.
The botanical garden
It was founded between 1811 and 1812 in the place of the former municipal fortification. More than 7000 species of plants from different parts of the world are grown there. Particularly interesting are the collections in the alpine garden, palm and cactus houses, aquariums, pools and on the pond. Moreover, you can see there some old fossils. The park comprises a beech forest complex and a collection of Japanese, Chinese and North-American trees and bushes.